What’s up guys, so, I have just finished creating my very first character design “turnaround”. I was inspired to create my own original ninja styled character from watching Naruto. I loved Naruto’s take on the concept of ninja’s, and that led me to start googling different designs, as well as authentic ninja gear, clothes, etc.
I imported some images that inspired me into Photoshop for a reference library to give me an idea on how to create a believable character design. Granted, I’ve never done this before, so I probably made a few mistakes, but hey, I had a lot of fun, and in the end the result I got was, in my opinion, pretty cool.
My ninja character is far from finished, and there are many things that I wish to change, add on, and overall, to give the designs a fully rendered appearance. One thing that I’d love to do with this new character is to try and create a full fledged illustration of him and see how well he looks. Maybe I’ll even come up with a backstory, which will lead to other designs in the future for more characters. 🙂
I hope that you guys like how this ninja character turned out, and please let me know what you think in the comments section, I’d love to hear what you like, or even dislike about the character, and possible ways I could improve as a character artist.
And, as always, thank you guys so much for checking out my work, I really appreciate it, and I hope all of you have a great day!!
Woohoo, I’m finally finished with my Kakashi painting!!
This took me a very long time to create, but in my opinion, it was well worth it! I definitely learned a lot while working on this, and I think I have some even better ideas as to how I’ll be working on future character paintings.
In this piece, I tried to experiment with some photo manipulation techniques, such as applying textures to Kakashi’s mask, head band, and his jacket. If you notice, though, the photo textures I’m using on Kakashi are simply pushing what has already been painted underneath. I actually didn’t apply those textures till I was nearing the end of the rendering process. However, the background, I did something I’ve never actually done before, and is something that I don’t intend to do very much, and that is to use only photos…. granted, it was not my original idea to only use photographs, but when I started to play with arranging the photos to create a forest/woods styled background, and adjusting the lighting of the photos, I really liked how Kakashi seemed to fit nicely with the overall scene. I did try to do some painting work, and adjusting the colors of the background, but in the end, I simply decided to just paint in the overall lighting for the scene, and to mute the colors of the bg quite a bit. In the end, I got, in my opinion, a fairly interesting picture.
In all, I believe that this painting took me about 8-10 hours to create.
I hope that you guys like how this piece turned out, and thank you so much for checking out my work! ^^